By Anastazja Kolodziej
After last week’s soup, I still had some chard (beet greens) left over for another meal. This recipe, warm tortellini salad with chard, is great for busy days—it’s ready in 15 minutes!
· Cheese tortellini (store-bought or homemade)
· 2 cloves of garlic, fresh chopped or in olive oil from a jar
· 3 tablespoons of pesto
· 2-3 bunches of Swiss chard or beet greens
· 2 tablespoons oil
· Shredded cheese
· Put chard stems into a pan with a few tablespoons of water and cook for 10 minutes. The stems take longer than the leaves and will be crunchy if you skip this step
· Once the stems are soft, remove the remaining water and pour oil onto the pan. Add chard leaves and sauté for 3-5 minutes
· Meanwhile, in a pot, boil salted water. Add tortellini and boil until cooked. I often use pre-cooked tortellini, which only needs to boil for 2-3 minutes
· Once the tortellini is ready, drain it in a colander. Then, pour the tortellini into the pan with the chard
· Add pesto and garlic and mix thoroughly
· Top with basil and serve with shredded cheese. Mozzarella and parmesan work best
"Savory Sunday" is a weekly summer blog series with seasonal recipes from the garden.
About the Author:
Anastazja Kolodziej is a rising senior at the University of Maryland, double majoring in multiplatform journalism and the classics (Ancient Greek and Latin). On campus, she serves as an assistant managing editor at The Diamondback.