Friday, July 17, 2020

Fenton Friday: The "Other" Radish Harvest

radish seed pods
dried radish seeds
I had let the spring radishes go to flower and set seed (aka bolting) and was planning on pulling them up soon to hang them to dry. I want to save the seeds for our annual Seed Exchanges, but also intended on trying some of the radish seeds themselves, as I heard they are a nice addition to a salad. I ate a few of them and they are very nice -- not spicy, just a satisfying crunch to them.

Thanks to a post by my garden writer friend, Doug Oster, I learned this week that the whole radish seed pod is edible -- and quite tasty! So I went out and pull up some of the radish pods that were still tender and green and tried a few. They taste like - well, radishes! -- though a bit milder and with a hint cabbage-ness. I gathered enough for a cup full and will try them in a stir fry dish. Have you ever tried them? What did you think?

Elsewhere in our plot, the cucumbers are humming along, the re-planted soy beans are up (and protected from rabbits), and the tomatoes are covered in green fruits. Now begins the wait for the 'matos to ripen. With record heat this week and next, they may just sit and breathe for a bit. I am spending my time keeping things watered and chasing away baby bunnies. Starting the fall season edible seeds will have to hold for another week.

What are you growing and harvesting this week in your edible garden? 

About Fenton Friday: Every Friday during the growing season, I'll be giving you an update on my community garden plot at the Fenton Street Community Garden just across the street from my house in zone 7 Mid-Atlantic MD/DC border. I'm plot #16. It is a 10 ft x 20 ft space and this is our 8th year in the garden. (It opened in May 2011.) See past posts about our edible garden by putting "Fenton" into the Search box above.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...