Friday, June 18, 2021

Fenton Friday: Favalicious

This week at the community garden plot, the weather has been gorgeous! The heat finally broke and it has been amazing with moderate temps and low humidity.

We harvested the fava beans and processed them. They are pictured here shelled from their big, cushiony pod. Then, they still needed to be blanched and the tender inner beans removed and THAT is what you eat. I made them into a green hummus using this recipe. It was delicious! We'll be sharing a TikTok video of the whole process in a few days.

I pulled out one of the garlics to test it out, but I found it a bit small, so I am leaving the rest in for another week of so.

A few berries ripened on the blackberry plants and I got to eat a few of those plus the last of the strawberries and made a few more cuttings from the lettuce for salads.

The carrot tops are up and the 'White Egg' turnips are starting to get large enough to pull a few and try them out.

I planted two types of beans - 'Castandel' bush beans and 'Purple Podded' pole beans along with a mound of 'Lisboa Slicing' cucumber.

I still need to plant the okra seeds and some more cutting flowers. I am also debating on melons. After last year's tragic incident with them, I am hesitant to put so much time and effort in them again. I'll look through me seeds and see if any inspire me to take the plunge again.

How is your edible garden growing?

About Fenton Friday: Every Friday during the growing season, I'll be giving you an update on my community garden plot at the Fenton Street Community Garden just across the street from my house in zone 7 Mid-Atlantic MD/DC border. I'm plot #16. It is a 10 ft x 20 ft space and this is our 8th year in the garden. (It opened in May 2011.) See past posts about our edible garden by putting "Fenton" into the Search box above.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...