Friday, September 08, 2023

Fenton Friday: That Burning Feeling!

I made a rookie mistake this week. I harvested a ripe red pepper off one of the plants (see above pic) and took it home to try it out. I cut off one small sliver and popped it in my mouth without thinking. My tongue was ON FIRE!!! I ran around like a crazy person trying pretty much every way Google said to kill the effects of a hot pepper -- from olive oil to milk -- nothing really worked except for eating some sweet cherry tomatoes. Thank goodness I had a few of those tomatoes still on hand. 

The funny thing is that I have no idea what kind of pepper this is. I had wrongly assumed it was a sweet snacking variety. Looking at the list of peppers I planted, the ONLY hot ones on the list were Chesapeake/Baltimore Fish variegated hot pepper and Thai Hot Orange pepper -- just by looks I KNOW it is not either of them! If you have any clue what this one might be, drop me a line in the comments.

This week in the community garden plot, we've had another week of HOT (near record) temps and I've been busy weeding and watering. We are once again getting missed by several forecasted storms and then having several windy, dry days that aren't doing the plants any favors. 

We are still harvesting a few handfuls of 'Ferrari' Beans, lots of Zucchini, a few Mexican Sour Gherkins, 'Lunchbox' Peppers, a couple 'Sun Sugar' Tomatoes, and a few Blackberries.

And a quick reminder that I'll be cutting many of our cutting garden flowers and more from my home garden for my FREE flower arranging class at the DC State Fair. See me at the demonstration area on Sunday, 9/9 at 10:30am. See more info at https://dcstatefair.org/events/dc-state-fair-2023.

How is your garden plot growing this week?

 

About Fenton Friday: Every Friday during the growing season, I'll be giving you an update on my community garden plot at the Fenton Street Community Garden just across the street from my house in zone 7 Mid-Atlantic MD/DC border. I'm plot #16. It is a 10 ft x 20 ft space and this is our 12th year in the garden. (It opened in May 2011.)  See past posts about our edible garden by putting "Fenton" into the Search box above (at the top, left on this blog).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...