Friday, September 15, 2023

Fenton Friday: Harvest Share


We got RAIN earlier this week - and lots of it! It is a good thing too as our water mater to fill the garden's cistern from the nearby fire hydrant was damaged and was just recently returned, so I was preparing to have to haul water from home if needed.

We are still harvesting a few handfuls of 'Ferrari' Beans, lots of Zucchini, a few Mexican Sour Gherkins, 'Lunchbox' Peppers and other pepper varieties, some 'Sun Sugar' and 'White Currant' Tomatoes, and a few Blackberries. The picture above is of today's "haul" -- enough to snack on, but not enough to make a meal or feed a family. 

I did leave a couple zucchini for our community garden's monthly harvest for the hungry collection and gave our new intern a few to take home as well.

Speaking of zucchini, I plan to use some of the frozen bags of shredded zucchini from last month to make several zucchini breads this weekend to take to a few garden club events and potlucks. 

In the cutting garden, all the flowers are doing well - but it is the dahlias that I find myself gravitating too and cutting for small vases around the house. I am a little disappointed that they only last a few days. Any tips for keep fresh-cut dahlias going longer indoors?

How is your garden plot growing this week?

 

About Fenton Friday: Every Friday during the growing season, I'll be giving you an update on my community garden plot at the Fenton Street Community Garden just across the street from my house in zone 7 Mid-Atlantic MD/DC border. I'm plot #16. It is a 10 ft x 20 ft space and this is our 12th year in the garden. (It opened in May 2011.)  See past posts about our edible garden by putting "Fenton" into the Search box above (at the top, left on this blog).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...