Friday, September 29, 2023

Fenton Friday: Cool Season Seeds In

Arugula seedlings

I missed posting last week because I was at The Fling touring gardens around the Philadelphia area with about 100 other garden bloggers and social media influencers (more on that in tomorrow's GardenDC Podcast episode).

We did manage to get several kinds of cool-season seeds in before and after the Fling trip. We planted two types of arugula: 'Astro' and 'Rocky', 'Round Black Spanish' radish, 'Bloomsdale Long Standing' spinach, and 'Chioggia' beets. We also planted 'Long Standing' cilantro in a container as well as a row in the ground to compare how those do and which method is more successful. The radish and arugula are already up! I always forget how fast these seeds germinate in warm soils, unlike the early spring where they may take a while to get going. 

This past week has been a rainy one and that has been great for the garden. We got some weeding in and put fresh woodchips on the shared pathways around our plot as well as down the center of it.

The storms caused my basil plants to split and fall down, so I cut some of those back and made a batch of pesto last night and need to get the rest of the basil pulled and made into pesto to freeze soon.

We harvested more zucchini, blackberries, cucamelons, peppers, and cherry tomatoes. We also cut more bouquets of zinnias and dahlias.

How is your garden plot growing this week?

 

About Fenton Friday: Every Friday during the growing season, I'll be giving you an update on my community garden plot at the Fenton Street Community Garden just across the street from my house in zone 7 Mid-Atlantic MD/DC border. I'm plot #16. It is a 10 ft x 20 ft space and this is our 12th year in the garden. (It opened in May 2011.)  See past posts about our edible garden by putting "Fenton" into the Search box above (at the top, left on this blog).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...