Friday, November 06, 2020

Fenton Friday: Spared by the Frost

'German White' Garlic cloves ready for planting.

Somehow we got spared the worst of the frost, though the bitter nighttime temperatures and arctic-like winds were not kind to many things in my home garden. Notably, the Coleus and Impatiens are looking pretty ragged.

In the garden plot, I planted Carrot and Spinach seeds plus more Garlic. I also top-dressed with straw and compost the areas I'd cleared out from summer crops.

The growing season is winding up, so there may be a few more Fenton Friday posts from our fall semester interns on what they grew. Other than those, this may be my last in the series for this growing season. Looking back, it was a fairly successful one -- though an unusual one -- with COVID precautions, freezing temps on Mother's Day weekend, and a wet August/September. 

My biggest lesson from this year will be to start the cool season edibles earlier -- both in February for a spring harvest and in July for the autumn harvest.

How was the 2020 growing year for you? What lessons will you carry over for 2021?

About Fenton Friday: Every Friday during the growing season, I'll be giving you an update on my community garden plot at the Fenton Street Community Garden just across the street from my house in zone 7 Mid-Atlantic MD/DC border. I'm plot #16. It is a 10 ft x 20 ft space and this is our 8th year in the garden. (It opened in May 2011.) See past posts about our edible garden by putting "Fenton" into the Search box above.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...