Friday, November 27, 2020

Fenton Friday: Closing out the Season

This will be the last update from our plot at the community garden for this year. This week we had some warm weather and I went over a few times to pull out the remaining warm-season plants that got zapped by a freeze last week. That included okra, marigolds, tomatoes, peppers, eggplants, and Holy Basil. I also cut back all the asparagus foliage, moved some of the strawberry runners, and trimmed up some of the overwintering herbs. The recently planted garlic has not sent up any foliage yet, but I expect it to do so soon.

Left in for now are broccoli, lettuce, arugula, peas, and radishes. I expect to dig some of the radishes in a week or two, but the rest should stay in and I will check on them occasionally to see if I can harvest a few salads over the early winter.

I also finally got a chance to plant the two 'Navaho' Thornless Blackberry plants at the back of my plot. The poor things have been sitting in pots in part shade on my driveway all year. I think they should be much happier now!

About Fenton Friday: Every Friday during the growing season, I'll be giving you an update on my community garden plot at the Fenton Street Community Garden just across the street from my house in zone 7 Mid-Atlantic MD/DC border. I'm plot #16. It is a 10 ft x 20 ft space and this is our 8th year in the garden. (It opened in May 2011.) See past posts about our edible garden by putting "Fenton" into the Search box above.

1 comment:

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...