Friday, May 29, 2020

Fenton Friday: Pass the Peas (and Carrots!)


Carrot 'Oxheart'
I decided to dig up some of the carrots we planted last fall. These 'Oxheart' are not even close to the "massive" roots that the seed packet described. Still, they will do for a snack, once I get done scrubbing them.

I harvested a few strawberries and asparagus spears, as well as snipping off all the garlic scapes.

The peas are really humming along now, the hard part is waiting until each is about 4-inches long before I pick them. Pictured are a few that made it to my kitchen, the rest I eat right there in the plot.

I managed to plant a few sweet potato slips as well as the "regular" white 'Satina' potatoes.

The heat and humidity have descended on us, so I'll have to be more diligent about watering and also weeding. I also need to start getting all my pepper and tomato seedlings in the ground now.


Peas 'Snak Hero'

Due to the heat now, most of the cool-season crops are bolting (setting flower, then seeds). I am going to let the last of the radishes do so, but hope the beets and other things hold off until they are at a decent size to harvest.



My next task is to go through all my warm-season seed packs this weekend and start direct-sowing the okra, beans, marigolds. etc.


Back in my home garden, I ripped out a bunch of mugwort, laid down cardboard, and applied a thick layer of leaf compost. I then cut a hole through the layers and planted some 'Amish Melon' seedlings, that I got from a fellow gardener. I'm not a big fan of muskmelon, but I'll give it a try and am happy to let the vine sprawl in the side yard where it can hopefully out-compete any returning mugwort.







What are you harvesting this week in your edible garden? 

About Fenton Friday: Every Friday during the growing season, I'll be giving you an update on my community garden plot at the Fenton Street Community Garden just across the street from my house in zone 7 Mid-Atlantic MD/DC border. I'm plot #16. It is a 10 ft x 20 ft space and this is our 8th year in the garden. (It opened in May 2011.) See past posts about our edible garden by putting "Fenton" into the Search box above.

1 comment:

  1. Find all that you need to purchase in organic plants and trees directly from Raintree Nursery. Visit our online mail order nursery today!

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...