Friday, May 22, 2020

Fenton Friday: Holding Out for a 'Snak Hero'

'Snak Hero' pea flowers and pods forming
This week was another cool-ish one, but unlike prior weeks it was dry. It was also windy. So dry and windy in fact that I had to run over to the plot mid-week to throw some emergency water on the poor strawberry plants and greens.

The 'Snak Hero' Pea is covered in blossoms now and the pods are forming. I pulled out the seed pack and see that they are supposed to grow to "Slender 4″ long pods" that resemble green beans so I will let mine grow a bit more before harvesting them.


I dug some more Radishes -- they taste much sharper now that the sun and heat are moving in. I also had a few more Asparagus spears and Spinach to make a salad with.

The scapes (flower stalks) are forming on the hardneck Garlic and I will cut those off in the next day or two to use in a pasta dish.

Because it was so dry, I didn't plant the 'Satina' Potatoes yet, but that is next on my list along with clearing a spot to direct-sow my watermelon and squash seeds.

In a part-shade spot of my home garden, I have several tomato and pepper seedlings hangout out until the ground is warm enough to plant them. Looking at the forecast for the week ahead, that should be very soon!

What are you harvesting this month in your edible garden? 

About Fenton Friday: Every Friday during the growing season, I'll be giving you an update on my community garden plot at the Fenton Street Community Garden just across the street from my house in zone 7 Mid-Atlantic MD/DC border. I'm plot #16. It is a 10 ft x 20 ft space and this is our 8th year in the garden. (It opened in May 2011.) See past posts about our edible garden by putting "Fenton" into the Search box above.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...