What do you do when cherry tomatoes are ripening faster than you can eat them? Make this lovely salad for a potluck or picnic to share with friends! If you think the combination of tomatoes and watermelons sounds odd, just try it -- I promise you, you'll soon be addicted to this aromatic combination. For this recipe, the amounts are up to you. I tend to do one-cup watermelon and one-cup tomato and a 1/2 cup of the feta cheese fora single serving dish for myself, but you can adjust that however you like.
- Balsamic vinaigrette*
- Feta cheese crumbles
- Assorted Basil or Mint and/or Arugula
- Optional additions: red onion, toasted nuts, croutons, cucumber
- Cut tomatoes and watermelon into bite-sized pieces and put in a pretty serving bowl.
- Tear up the herbs into small pieces and thrown that in the bowl too.
- Drizzle with Balsamic vinaigrette and toss everything together.
- Just before serving add in the Feta cheese crumbles and any other optional additions you desire.
This salad is best eaten fresh, but leftovers can keep overnight. Serve with a crusty bread to sop up those good juices.
*Balsamic vinaigrette can be store-bought or mix up your own with balsamic vinegar, olive oil, Dijon mustard, garlic, onions, and salt/pepper to taste.
"Savory Sunday" is a blog series with seasonal recipes from the garden.