Friday, August 24, 2018

Fenton Friday: Ribbon Time!


Last week I was in Chicago for the annual garden writers conference, one of my last errands before I jumped on my flight was to drop off my entries at the Montgomery County Fair. The entry choices from my garden were slim this year with all the rains and cooler weather. I didn't enter any vegetables. I did manage to scrounge up some cut flowers to submit and here are the ribbons they earned (4 were for roses!) -- along with a special 70th anniversary fair commemorative ribbon.

Back home, I visited the garden plot and found a bounty of tomatoes had now finally ripened. How I would have loved to have entered those 'Midnight Snack' beauties into the competition. Ah well, there is always next year.



Update on the Tomato Trial:
This week I picked (pictured clockwise from top): 'Tasmanian Chocolate', 'Garden Gem', 'Midnight Snack', 'Super Sweet', 'Centiflor', and 'Sun Gold'.


Update on the Cucumber Trial:
Pictured here are 'Marketmore' and a small 'Platinum' cuke. I haven't cut the latter open to taste yet, but I am guessing it is likely very mild. The 'Platinum' vine doesn't look like it will produce any more than this puny little guy. However, 'Marketmore' earns its name with several cukes this week and many more forming.

About Fenton Friday: Every Friday during the growing season, I'll be giving you an update on my community garden plot at the Fenton Street Community Garden just across the street from my house. I'm plot #16. It is a 10 ft x 20 ft space and this is our 7th year in the garden. (It opened in May 2011.) See past posts about our edible garden by putting "Fenton" into the Search box above

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...