Friday, August 03, 2018

Fenton Friday: Drying Out?

Another 5+ inches of rain this week. Again, I am NOT complaining - just reporting. Anything that saves me from having to water daily in the oppressive summer heat is a blessing.

This weekend looks to be a break in the rains and maybe after a few days of drying things out I can finally get back to planting, weeding, and general clean-up. The wood chip paths have long slid downhill to neighboring plots and the weeds are growing like crazy.

A pretty strawflower plant has popped up (pictured at left). I have never plated any of that kind. It is a nice surprise and a sweet substitute for all my zinnias that the damn rabbits keep eating.

The 'Fish' Peppers and other hot peppers are still in their original 2" pots! I would feel guilty but they are all seemingly doing well. I think it is because they are still in the pots and are sitting in a tray off the ground, which is giving them some nice drainage whereas if they were planted in the soil, they would like have rotted by now.

How is your vegetable garden growing this week?

About Fenton Friday: Every Friday during the growing season, I'll be giving you an update on my community garden plot at the Fenton Street Community Garden just across the street from my house. I'm plot #16. It is a 10 ft x 20 ft space and this is our 7th year in the garden. (It opened in May 2011.) See past posts about our edible garden by putting "Fenton" into the Search box above

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...