Sunday, July 01, 2018

DIY: Real Cotton Wreath

Last summer I grew cotton in my community garden plot. Just three plants, but they provided enough cotton bolls for me to use in making this wreath. I dried the cotton over the winter time--laying the cut branches flat on an old window screen in my unheated sunroom. 
   This wreath retails for $50+ for faux cotton and $100 for the real thing. Not including labor and tools, the cost of this project was well under $10.  I am quite pleased with the results.

Materials:
Cotton bolls (grow your own or buy stems)
14-inch Wire wreath frame
Wire cutters
Pliers
Floral wire 26 gauge

Steps:
  1. Group sets of 3 cotton bolls together and wire them close to their base. Leaving a small length of stem on them (about 3 inches.)
  2. Arrange the sets of 3 on the wreath frame. Using more of the floral wire to secure them well.
  3. Once you have filled in the frame. Hold it up and turn it over and give it a good shake. Secure any cotton that may come loose.
  4. Cut a length of wire to make a hanging loop, if desired.
  5. Optional, add a ribbon or other decorative touches.

This is a monthly blog series on DIY projects for the beginning home gardener. Look for the other installments in this DIY blog series by putting "DIY" in the search box here at washingtongardener.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...