Friday, September 27, 2024

Fenton Friday: Holy Basil


This has been a very rainy week in the garden. We did manage to plant two rows of lettuces in the rabbit-proof box earlier this week during a light drizzle. Both lettuces are from Seed Savers Exchange -- they are 'Grandma Hadley's' and 'Jebousek'.

The Broccoli, Brussels Sprouts, and Cauliflower are loving all the rain and cool temps. Those plants have all more than doubled in size in the last two weeks,

Holy Basil (Tulsi) has sprung up in the top of a stacking container I had left in the plot (pictured at right). It had various basils and annuals we direct-sowed in it last year. Late this summer, I noticed a Holy Basil seedling starting to grow and let it stay in there. It now has filled in nicely and takes up the whole thing. The bees are quite happy to visit those flowers -- even on another rainy day (pictured at top)!

What are you growing in your edible garden this week?

About Fenton Friday: Every Friday during the growing season, I'll be giving you an update on my community garden plot at the Fenton Street Community Garden just across the street from my house in zone 7 Mid-Atlantic MD/DC border. I'm plot #16. It is a 10 ft x 20 ft space and this is our 13th year in the garden. (It opened in May 2011.) See past posts about our edible garden by putting "Fenton" into the Search box above (at the top, left on this blog).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...