Friday, October 09, 2026

Fenton Friday: October Blue Skies


After a rainy weekend, this week's weather was one of those glorious fall stretches of mild temperatures and pure blue skies. Here is a picture a took of the tall Jerusalem Artichokes (aka Sunchokes) in bloom in our Pollinator Garden strip.

I picked lots of Dahlias and gave away several small bouquets of them.

I harvested the last of the spring-sown 'Short 'n Sweet' Carrots too -- one of which was rather comically large! (See pic at right.)

The Fall Peas are all up and doing well -- and so is the Field Pea cover crop we sowed in last week. The Lettuces and Cilantro are all coming along well also, but we are stull waiting on the Parsley to show up (that is to be expected as it takes a long time for them to germinate and appear).

I'm leaving the Okra up for another week or two as I want to collect the last pods for seed saving.

We pulled the Tomato vines and planted in their place fours rows of seeds: 'French Breakfast' Radish, 'Cosmic Purple' Carrots, ' King Henry' Violas, and 'Swiss Giant' Pansy. I don't have high hopes for the latter two, but we'll see what happens.

The Basil is still doing well, so I have yet to pull it out. In a few weeks, we'll get the Garlic planted in its place.

What are you growing and harvesting in your garden this week?

About Fenton Friday: Every Friday during the growing season, I'll be giving you an update on my community garden plot at the Fenton Street Community Garden just across the street from my house in zone 7 Mid-Atlantic MD/DC border. I'm plot #16. It is a 10 ft x 20 ft space and this is our 15th year in the garden. (It opened in May 2011.) See past posts about our edible garden by putting "Fenton"  into the Search box above (at the top, left on this blog). 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Holiday Gifts for Gardeners ~ Top Gardening Gifts ~ 21+ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

The holiday season is here and I bet you have a gardener on your gift list, so we've   updated   our annual Holiday Gifts for Gardeners ...

Most Popular Posts