Friday, September 06, 2024

Fenton Friday: Garden Theft and Beauty

The bad news first, I went to the plot today to harvest a zucchini I had examined yesterday while watering and decided to let grow for one more day. Well, it was gone. Not a trace. I never would've known it was even there if I hadn't seen it and noted it the day before. Such is life in the community garden in a very public urban location. I don't suspect my fellow plot gardeners and no trace of it remains so that rules out messy wildlife. It was a clean cut and whoever took it left two beautiful red tomatoes on the vine right nearby, so they must've been keeping an eye on it too. The sadder news is that today the zucchini plants are covered in powdery mildew, which means there will not be many more fruits to harvest as the season winds down.

On the good news side of things, I did harvest those two gorgeous tomatoes and some gherkins. I also cut a bouquet of flowers for my talk/demo at tomorrow's DC State Fair.

The great news is that the two variegated red cotton seedlings, that I was gifted by a gardener on the Daylily Society's Region 3 Meeting back at the end of June, have not only recovered from their tragically sad-looking start in my plot to be absolutely gorgeous plants. (See pic above of the flower and at right image of one of the leaves.)

Next week, we hope to have some cool-season vegetable starts to plant and to start the transition from summer to fall/winter in the garden.

What are you growing in your edible garden this week?

About Fenton Friday: Every Friday during the growing season, I'll be giving you an update on my community garden plot at the Fenton Street Community Garden just across the street from my house in zone 7 Mid-Atlantic MD/DC border. I'm plot #16. It is a 10 ft x 20 ft space and this is our 13th year in the garden. (It opened in May 2011.) See past posts about our edible garden by putting "Fenton" into the Search box above (at the top, left on this blog).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...