Friday, September 13, 2024

Fenton Friday: Cool Season Crops


This week, we planted three kinds of Brassicas -- five seedlings each of Broccoli, Brussels Sprouts, and Cauliflower. They are all cool-season crops, so we watered them in thoroughly and I placed a rowcover over them as the temps are still in the 80s and I'm also worried that the insects will skeletonize the leaves if given a chance.

I haven't tried to grow Brussels Sprouts in years, but figured it was time to try it again and see if we have better luck this season. All the Brassica family plants are pretty "iffy" in our region, so I never have high hopes for them. Maybe this fall will be different... 

Next week, I hope to plant radish and carrot seeds along with a few rows of salad greens.

What are you growing in your edible garden this week?

About Fenton Friday: Every Friday during the growing season, I'll be giving you an update on my community garden plot at the Fenton Street Community Garden just across the street from my house in zone 7 Mid-Atlantic MD/DC border. I'm plot #16. It is a 10 ft x 20 ft space and this is our 13th year in the garden. (It opened in May 2011.) See past posts about our edible garden by putting "Fenton" into the Search box above (at the top, left on this blog).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...