Friday, April 30, 2021

Fenton Friday: Sailing Along

Another week of crazy winds and dramatic temperature shifts (highs of 85+ to 50+). The poor lettuces and taller plants are getting really beaten up. I went over to water all the seedlings twice this week, even though we had decent rain amounts, just because the winds are wicking away so much of that surface moisture.

The new-ish blackberry plants are flowering today and I think the blooms are quite lovely. (See the photo above.) I look forward to harvesting the fruits this summer. 

I picked more asparagus spears and lettuce to eat. I really need to do a good all-around weeding session, but there are not enough ours in the day. Maybe next week...

Aside from that, this week there were no big changes from last week, just nice progress all around. The radishes are starting to take shape and all the seedlings are getting bigger. The fava beans, in particular, are forming good-sized plants--waiting on them to flower soon too. 

And because I keep getting this question: YES, it is STILL TOO EARLY to plant summer (warm-season) seedlings and seeds outside in the garden. The soil is still not warm enough. Next weekend (Mother's Day) may be it. We'll see what the weather forecast and soil temp readings says around May 7.

How is your edible garden growing?

About Fenton Friday: Every Friday during the growing season, I'll be giving you an update on my community garden plot at the Fenton Street Community Garden just across the street from my house in zone 7 Mid-Atlantic MD/DC border. I'm plot #16. It is a 10 ft x 20 ft space and this is our 8th year in the garden. (It opened in May 2011.) See past posts about our edible garden by putting "Fenton" into the Search box above.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...