Friday, April 09, 2021

Fenton Friday: Feeling Spring-like


Fava seedlings


Lettuce mix
This week finally feels like spring - cool and rainy - but still lots of great sun and mild weather in-between. The plants are practically jumping out of the ground.

The peas and fava beans are putting on nice growth. I picked a few more stalks of the asparagus. 

The lettuce is doing well. I cut some lettuce leaves for my lunch today. I also saw some baby slugs when I moved a board aside, so will be back with Sluggo soon.

The strawberries are starting to flower and the garlic has doubled in size since last week!

The arugula and radishes left in from last fall have bolted and I will leave them be to collect their seeds later on. 

The recently planted broccoli are doing fine, but the ones that wintered over are also trying to bolt, I cut the flowerheads off those and we are keeping them under a cover cloth. I am hoping that gives me a few more weeks on them before the heat sets in.

We sowed seeds for 'Ultimate Hybrid' carrots, 'Garden Party' radishes, and 'White Egg' turnips today. I plan to go back this weekend to add more lettuces and a row of parsnips -- and that Sluggo!

How is your edible garden growing?

About Fenton Friday: Every Friday during the growing season, I'll be giving you an update on my community garden plot at the Fenton Street Community Garden just across the street from my house in zone 7 Mid-Atlantic MD/DC border. I'm plot #16. It is a 10 ft x 20 ft space and this is our 8th year in the garden. (It opened in May 2011.) See past posts about our edible garden by putting "Fenton" into the Search box above.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...