Friday, March 26, 2021

Fenton Friday: Starting Fresh

Is there a better feeling each spring than starting out fresh in the vegetable garden? Well, almost fresh. We still had a few crops over-wintering -- lettuce, broccoli, garlic, and arugula. Also, we have three perennial crops in -- strawberries, blackberry, and asparagus. This doesn't count the perennialized herbs like the rosemary, yarrow, and chives. 

Last week, we planted fava beans and peas. Today, we planted three seedlings 'Burgundy' broccoli plants I bought at Homestead Gardens to add to the other broccoli. I am curious to see how these purplish ones will look and taste.

We also added in 'French fingerling' potatoes. This time, I decided to try the trenching method, rather than the mounding one. I am hoping this will be a little less work. (See the January 2021 issue of Washington Gardener for more pointers about potato planting.)

I still have a lot of plot clean-up to do from my winter neglect and then I can start direct-sowing seeds of carrots, radish, parsnip, turnips, and more lettuces.

How is your edible garden growing? Have you started planted yet?

About Fenton Friday: Every Friday during the growing season, I'll be giving you an update on my community garden plot at the Fenton Street Community Garden just across the street from my house in zone 7 Mid-Atlantic MD/DC border. I'm plot #16. It is a 10 ft x 20 ft space and this is our 8th year in the garden. (It opened in May 2011.) See past posts about our edible garden by putting "Fenton" into the Search box above.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...