Friday, October 30, 2020

Fenton Friday: Frost Alert

the community garden plot 


Eric Bond of Takoma Radio stopped by again and we recorded another segment* in the garden. He watched as I demonstrated how to plant Garlic and added straw mulch to the beds. I showed off the great looking Lettuce and a 'White Icicle' Radish I pulled out that had self-sown from the spring.

Elsewhere in the plot, the Arugula and two rows Watermelon Radish 'Mantanghong' are growing well. I harvested Okra and what will be the last of the mini Eggplants as we are predicted to get a frost/freeze this evening.

I think I have officially given up on the White Bunching Onions, Cilantro, and Moss Curly Parsley seeds. They were old packets and I don't think any germinated. I may try again with new seeds -- depending on how the weather is next week.


The Snap Peas 'Sugar Magnolia'
 continue to climb up their trellis -- still no flowers or pea pods!

The Broccoli seedlings are getting nibbled on a bit by bugs -- no florets forming yet.

I pulled all the Basil and I hope to get time tomorrow to make a big batch of pesto made for freezing.

What are you harvesting in your garden this week? 

*The radio segment will air on Sunday, November 1 
at 2pm ET. You can listen online at:  https://takomaradio.org/.

About Fenton Friday: Every Friday during the growing season, I'll be giving you an update on my community garden plot at the Fenton Street Community Garden just across the street from my house in zone 7 Mid-Atlantic MD/DC border. I'm plot #16. It is a 10 ft x 20 ft space and this is our 8th year in the garden. (It opened in May 2011.) See past posts about our edible garden by putting "Fenton" into the Search box above.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...