Friday, October 09, 2020

Fenton Friday: Cool Season Seeds


This week at the community garden plot, I went on a seed-planting spree. It may be too late for some things - or maybe not - we shall see how the rest of the autumn season plays out.

I planted Cilantro, Arugula,  White Bunching Onions, Moss Curly Parsley, and two rows Watermelon Radish 'Mantanghong'. The radish seeds were sent from Botanical Interests and I have never grown these watermelon-types before and am eager to try them. The tiny seedlings are already up and looking good! 

Elsewhere in the plot, the Snap Peas 'Sugar Magnolia'* are climbing up their trellis and I expect them to produce flowers then pea pods any day now.

The Lettuce Leaf 'Salad Bowl Blend' is pretty much ready to cut and make a salad from -- though I'll give it a few more days before doing that.

The Broccoli seedlings are doing fine and I added a larger row cover over them so they could grow taller without being pinned in so tightly.

I am still harvesting a few handfuls of Okra, Tomatoes, Peppers, and Eggplants this week as well -- and the 'Big Duck Yellow' Marigolds are the size of small shrubs.


Today, I also pre-taped a segment for Takoma Radio with Eric Bond that will air on Sunday, 10/12 at 2pm during the Talk of Takoma show. You can listen online at 
https://takomaradio.org/.

What are you harvesting in your garden this week? 


*also from Botanical Interests

About Fenton Friday: Every Friday during the growing season, I'll be giving you an update on my community garden plot at the Fenton Street Community Garden just across the street from my house in zone 7 Mid-Atlantic MD/DC border. I'm plot #16. It is a 10 ft x 20 ft space and this is our 8th year in the garden. (It opened in May 2011.) See past posts about our edible garden by putting "Fenton" into the Search box above.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...