Friday, October 02, 2020

Fenton Friday: Betting on Eggplant

Eggplant 'Picasso'

This week was the community garden's annual harvest collection for Shepherd's Table and we filled the back seat and trunk of a small car with tomatoes, herbs, okra, edamame, peppers, squash, greens, and much more.

From my own plot, I stripped several branches off the tomato plants and groomed off anything green to ripe on them. I am starting on the garden clean-out process of the summer crops, since the days are getting shorter and cooler now.

Two things I was surprised are still going strong in my plot are the eggplants and peppers. The eggplant is just one plant that I tried out in a container. I kept it under a covercloth to ward off those nasty flea beetles that turned me off of growing eggplants after experiencing some bad infestations. It barely gave me anything all summer, but now I am getting handfuls at once. 'Picasso' is a beauty -- almost hate to eat them.

The pepper plants are prolific as well. I pull out two plants of 'Lemon Drop' -- a hot one from Peru with a citrus flavor - and donated all of them to the harvest collection. I also pulled out one of the 'Roulette' pepper plants to give away those as well. These are habanero type, but with no heat. They are also an All-America Selections winner and are a very attractive, care-free pepper to grow.

Pepper 'Roulette'


What are you harvesting in your garden this week? 

 About Fenton Friday: Every Friday during the growing season, I'll be giving you an update on my community garden plot at the Fenton Street Community Garden just across the street from my house in zone 7 Mid-Atlantic MD/DC border. I'm plot #16. It is a 10 ft x 20 ft space and this is our 8th year in the garden. (It opened in May 2011.) See past posts about our edible garden by putting "Fenton" into the Search box above.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...