Friday, June 05, 2020

Fenton Friday: A Planting Frenzy


new plantings - basil, tomatoes, and cucumber
New Plantings -
Basils, Tomatoes, and Cucumbers
This week was a very hot and busy one in the community garden plot. The new interns and I planted several test groups. We put in four Cucumber hills: 'Marketmore,' ''Silver Slicer, "White Wonder,' and 'Early Spring Burpless.' We added four kinds of Basil from seedlings: Prospera (a mildew-resistant Genovese), Lime, Thai, and Tuli/Holy - as well as seeded a row of 'Dolce Vita Blend' to use those for mildew-resistance comparison. For Tomatoes, we planted 'White Currant,' 'Apple Yellow,' 'Celano,' 'Resilience, 'Sun Gold' and 'Sun Sugar.' I also planted a row of Marigold 'Happy Days Mix' on each sde of the Tomatoes.

I have been harvesting 'Snak Hero' Peas everyday and also cutting Sweet Pea 'Beaujolais' for little indoor bouquets. I've gotten a few Strawberries and Asparagus spears to eat also, I dug out a couple of the Beets to test them, but they are still a bit small, so I will leave them in longer. I covered all of the lettuces with a protective cloth because the sudden heat and intense sun were so brutal this week.

Aside from lots more weeding, I still have some seeds to plant for Okra, Watermelon, etc. We'll see if I actually have room for any of that!

What are you harvesting this week in your edible garden? 

Sweet Pea 'Beaujolais'
Sweet Pea 'Beaujolais' 
About Fenton Friday: Every Friday during the growing season, I'll be giving you an update on my community garden plot at the Fenton Street Community Garden just across the street from my house in zone 7 Mid-Atlantic MD/DC border. I'm plot #16. It is a 10 ft x 20 ft space and this is our 8th year in the garden. (It opened in May 2011.) See past posts about our edible garden by putting "Fenton" into the Search box above.




1 comment:

  1. Learn some amazing garden design ideas
    https://vibranthorticulture.com/horticulture-design/

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...