Monday, June 15, 2020

Colorful Combinations on Bloom Day

It is Garden Blogger's Bloom Day again! On the 15th of each month, we gardeners with blogs share a few bloom photos from our gardens. Here is the Mid-Atlantic USA (USDA zone 7) on the DC-MD border, the past month has been a roller coaster - from no sign of rain for days to deluges of several inches at once and temps ranging from scorching hot to quite chilly again this morning. It has been pretty unpredictable.

This month, I thought I'd share two favorite combinations blooming in my garden now. Both were unplanned and both involve daylilies. The first (pictured above) is the common ditch daylily and chicory. I have both "weeds" planted along my back fence line and sidewalk media strip. They are hemmed in on all sides so cannot escape cultivation. Every year, they both open their flowers without fail at the exact same time -- I think they know just how well orange and blue set each other off.

The second combination is a daylily cultivar whose name I'm wracking my brain for, but alas, cannot recall. I planted it right against the Lavender 'Phenomenal' near my small water garden. The violet tones in the middle of the daylily really pick up the lavender wands around it -- trust me, it is much better in person than I can capture with my iPhone camera here.


What is blooming in YOUR garden today?

7 comments:

  1. I love when chicory volunteers in my lawn! It's an amazing blue, unlike the blues of flax, forget-me-not, or bachelor button. Blue does go great with yellows and oranges. I enjoy my coreopsis with Persian catmint for the same reason.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love day lilies! Very reliable plants for blooms year after year.
    Yours are very pretty
    Happy Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing Day lilies ..mine haven't bloomed yet .Happy blooms day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for stopping by and Happy Bloom Day!

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...