Friday, March 20, 2020

Fenton Friday: Hidden Treasures


There is one plant that I forgot to report on in last week's summary of that wintered over for me in the plot -- namely, Broccoli.

I had three Broccoli plants tucked under a cover cloth and until I weeded around it a few days ago, I totally neglected it. Once weeded and a layer of straw placed around them (and the neighboring carrots), I could see what a bounty I had!

I snipped off a few florets from each plant and added them to pasta with garlic and butter (and lots of Parmesan cheese!) for dinner. Yum!

The only thing I added this week was another row of Spinach. The forecast had called from freezing temps in a few days, so I didn't want to risk doing anything else yet. Now, the forecast seems to have moderated and we might not get those predicted snow showers. If that is the case, I'll look at adding more root vegetables.

In the rest of our community garden, I see many busy bees -- we have several new plot owners this year and during this social distancing period our plots are a great place to retreat to and do something productive, while soaking up some Vitamin D. I wish all our newbies much success in their plantings!

What are you planting this month in your edible garden? Any hidden treasures?

About Fenton Friday: Every Friday during the growing season, I'll be giving you an update on my community garden plot at the Fenton Street Community Garden just across the street from my house in zone 7 Mid-Atlantic MD/DC border. I'm plot #16. It is a 10 ft x 20 ft space and this is our 8th year in the garden. (It opened in May 2011.) See past posts about our edible garden by putting "Fenton" into the Search box above.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...