Friday, March 13, 2020

Fenton Friday: An Early Start

Radish seedlings up.
This is start of my weekly reports each Friday for the 2020 growing season of what is going on in our community garden plot, where we grow mostly edible plants.

This year, spring has arrived at least a month earlier than usual, so the interns and I started seeds inside under grow-lights and directly sown into the garden in early-mid February. We started Radishes and Beets in the plot and did Sugarsnap peas, Sweet Peas (not edible), and Larkspur flowers in both the plot and inside under lights.

The Peas (both edible and ornamental) are starting off fairly well and the radish seedlings are up, but the rest have not made an appearance. I fear the soil was either too cold for them or the seed packs were just duds.

This week, I also planted cut-and-come-again Lettuce and a 'Purple Moon' Kale directly from seed.

Sweet Pea seedling tendrils emerge.
Wintering over from last year in the plot, I have Garlic, Strawberry plants, Kale, Cilantro, Carrots, Yarrow, Chives, and a bit of Spinach. The Calendula appears to have bitten the dust, so I may start new ones.

Soon, Asparagus should be popping up too. I am keeping a close eye on that as I would like the eat some soon!

Next week, I'll need to do a bit of weeding and clean-up in the beds. I plan to add some more cool-season plants including Parsnips and Kohlrabi. If I can find where I stashed those seed packs!


What are you planting this month in your edible garden?

About Fenton Friday: Every Friday during the growing season, I'll be giving you an update on my community garden plot at the Fenton Street Community Garden just across the street from my house in zone 7 Mid-Atlantic MD/DC border. I'm plot #16. It is a 10 ft x 20 ft space and this is our 8th year in the garden. (It opened in May 2011.) See past posts about our edible garden by putting "Fenton" into the Search box above.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...