Friday, September 28, 2018

Fenton Friday: Cucamelons - Finally

This year's Cucamelons aka Mexican Sour Gherkins (Melothria scabra) took forever to form. The vines grew and grew, flowered and flowered, but not a "mouse melon" in sight, until this past week. I blame the constant rains and cloudy days.

Elsewhere in the plot, the end of the summer season is evident and the tomatoes are petering out. I'll be pulling those vines out soon and clearing out space for Garlic and cool season edibles like Spinach and Cilantro.

What is growing in your edible garden this week?

About Fenton Friday: Every Friday during the growing season, I'll be giving you an update on my community garden plot at the Fenton Street Community Garden just across the street from my house. I'm plot #16. It is a 10 ft x 20 ft space and this is our 7th year in the garden. (It opened in May 2011.) See past posts about our edible garden by putting "Fenton" into the Search box above.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...