Friday, September 07, 2018

Fenton Friday: Beet Babies


It has been another scorcher of a week with scant rain, so I have been over almost daily to water the community garden plot. The tomatoes and cucumbers are still producing well and I even harvested a handful of green beans!

The mystery is the Mexican Gherkin aka Mouse Melon aka Cucamelon. The vines are growing rapidly and it sets many flowers, but I have yet to find any fruits on it. Very strange.

The beets we planted last week are up. The tiny seedlings have a red stem and that helps to differentiate them from other seedlings that are popping up, such as the arugula that I had previously planted in that same spot and let go to seed. We also added a row of Swiss Chard to compare those with the beet greens.

I hope that this weekend's promised rains and lower temps allow me to get over to the plot to rip out the orange cosmos that is running rampant throughout the rest of the plot. It is not even the pretty cosmos, it seems to have reverted to some weedy distant cousin with tiny yellow flowers and needle-like seeds that snag on your clothing. Once gone, I'll replace them with winter root crops and salad greens.

What is growing in your edible garden this week?

About Fenton Friday: Every Friday during the growing season, I'll be giving you an update on my community garden plot at the Fenton Street Community Garden just across the street from my house. I'm plot #16. It is a 10 ft x 20 ft space and this is our 7th year in the garden. (It opened in May 2011.) See past posts about our edible garden by putting "Fenton" into the Search box above

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...