Friday, August 15, 2008

A Sunny August Bloom Day









It's Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day again and here are a few pics I took running around only the backyard yesterday. The county is ripping out part of my front and side walks to put in handicap stripping (yellow pad inserts with bumps) and new concrete edging to alert people that they are about to enter a busy street. It is NOISY and annoying on a day when I'd like to be out there in the garden - but luckily a fairly quick process and I'll have bright, shiny new sidewalk come Monday.
In the pot is a dwarf Buddleia I'm trialing. The sunflower is one I planted by my side fence and it keeps turning its head away from passers-by and in towards the fence. Shy? Or just bratty? The rest are perennials and self-sowers that are reliably turning my pond area into a jungle. The birds are loving it.

5 comments:

  1. Those sunflowers do their own thing, don't they? Mine are never facing how I want them to face!

    Thanks for joining in for bloom day!

    Carol, May Dreams Gardens

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does V. bonarensis self sow? I wish mine did. What's the first pink flower? Looks like some sort of anemone. Nice GBBD post

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gintoino - that IS a Japanese anemone that I had gotten at a plant swap labeled as 'Honorine Jobert' which clearly it is NOT. It is in full afternoon sun and pretty happy spreader there protected by my side fence and near the pond - contrary to what the books tell you. I think it may actually be A. tomentosa ‘Robustissima'.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And yes, the first year V. bonarensis behaved pretty well but the last few years it has started self-sowing in sidewalk cracks, into the hollyhock bed, and wherever it is sunny really. I pretty much leave it alone unless it is hitting someone in my pathways. The bees certainly adore it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sunflowers are annoying like that. Which is why I've planted mine so they face the house and I can see them when I look out the window.

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...