Friday, July 26, 2024

Fenton Friday: Rain, At Last

We got rain! Finally! Lots of it. Enough to soak in a few inches deep and everything in the plot is looking much better. That also means though that the weeds are roaring back so most of my garden time this week was spent cutting rampant vines and grubbing out little weeds that are just sprouting

I did get a minute to clear out an area for more cutting-garden flowers, so I planted a row of 'Lilliput' Zinnias and Dancing Petticoats' Cosmos. It is late in the season for sure, but I think if we get decent weather from here on out that I'll be enjoying bouquets of them from late August until frost.

The Tomatoes look really nice on the plants (see above pic) -- but as soon as they start to ripen they are pilfered by the rats, squirrels, and rabbits (and who knows what other creatures!). We may just have to pick them very green and see if we can get any to ripen on the counter or else we will never get any ourselves.

The rest of the garden is coming along nicely with lots of female blossoms on the Gherkin vines and the Peppers loaded with fruits waiting to turn to their final color stages.

What are you growing in your edible garden this week?

About Fenton Friday: Every Friday during the growing season, I'll be giving you an update on my community garden plot at the Fenton Street Community Garden just across the street from my house in zone 7 Mid-Atlantic MD/DC border. I'm plot #16. It is a 10 ft x 20 ft space and this is our 13th year in the garden. (It opened in May 2011.) See past posts about our edible garden by putting "Fenton" into the Search box above (at the top, left on this blog).

4 comments:

  1. I’m glad that you shared this useful information with us. Thank you, write more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful stuff, Thanks for the posts, I love coming to your site. It is useful

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great writing to see, glad that google brought me here, Keep Up cool

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found so many interesting stuff in your blog especially its discussion

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...