Friday, October 27, 2023

Fenton Friday: Winter Prep

Plot 16 - looking a bit wild and woolly at the end of the season.

This was a very mild weather week again, so it fefeelseird to be discussing winter preop and clearing out the plot. I still have peppers, cucamelons, blackberries, tomatoes, and zucchini producing well -- along with lots of cut-flowers. I've stopped watering all those and when a frost hits will be ripping them all out and planting garlic or covering the open ground with straw.

I noticed that the asparagus foliage is finally starting to yellow and that will all need cutting back once it does.

The dahlia tubers will stay in the ground this year as I learned my lesson last year and needn't bother trying to dig and store them again.

I am filling white kitty litter jugs with water as we drain our cistern for the winter and still have some water available for those of us still growing cool-season crops.

My cool-season crops of arugula, radish, and cilantro seedlings are all doing well. I'm still watering those and weeding around them a bit.


How is your garden plot growing this week?

 

About Fenton Friday: Every Friday during the growing season, I'll be giving you an update on my community garden plot at the Fenton Street Community Garden just across the street from my house in zone 7 Mid-Atlantic MD/DC border. I'm plot #16. It is a 10 ft x 20 ft space and this is our 12th year in the garden. (It opened in May 2011.)  See past posts about our edible garden by putting "Fenton" into the Search box above (at the top, left on this blog).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...