Friday, October 06, 2023

Fenton Friday: Sweet Potato Blues

The good news is that while weeding I uncovered a group of Brassica seedlings where I had let the Celosia reseed at the back of my plot. They are where the Broccoli was growing last Fall to Spring, so I'm assuming it is Broccoli, but it could also be Kale or another Brassica family member that we've grown in recent years. I'll let them develop and see how they grow.

The bad news is we dug the Sweet Potatoes and... there was nothing there. Well, there had been something there, but some creature got to it all before we did (I suspect urban rodents) and ate all the tubers. There were still plenty of sweet potato vines running all over the back if the plot and they had rooted themselves in several spots. We cut back most of the vines and composed them just to clear out some space around them. I know some folks eat sweet potato greens, do you? How do you like to prepare them? 

From the cool-season seedlings we planted over the last few weeks only one of the two types of arugula is up and thriving and that is 'Astro'. So far, 'Rocky' is a bust. The 'Round Black Spanish' radish is also growing strongly., but the 'Bloomsdale Long Standing' spinach,  'Long Standing' Cilantro, and 'Chioggia' beets have all not surfaced yet. We thinned both the radish and the 'Astro' arugula to give the remaining seedlings room ro grow.

We harvested more zucchini, blackberries, cucamelons, peppers, and cherry tomatoes. We also cut more bouquets of zinnias and dahlias.


How is your garden plot growing this week?

 

About Fenton Friday: Every Friday during the growing season, I'll be giving you an update on my community garden plot at the Fenton Street Community Garden just across the street from my house in zone 7 Mid-Atlantic MD/DC border. I'm plot #16. It is a 10 ft x 20 ft space and this is our 12th year in the garden. (It opened in May 2011.)  See past posts about our edible garden by putting "Fenton" into the Search box above (at the top, left on this blog).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...