Friday, October 13, 2023

Fenton Friday: End of Harvest Party

This Sunday, 10/15/23, we are hosting an End of Harvest Party at the Fenton Community Garden from 5-6:30pm and all are welcome. We'll be collecting garden-grown produce donations for the hungry and have refreshments, kid's activities, flower arranging, seed sharing, and more. Please plan to join us. (Note that it is canceled if it is raining here at 5:00pm.)

Many of my fellow Fenton gardeners are already cleaning out their plots, but I'm still plugging away and plan to keep on going until a killing frost at least. I

We had a mild weather week and harvested more zucchini, blackberries, cucamelons, peppers, and cherry tomatoes. We also cut more bouquets of zinnias and dahlias. The arugula, radish, and cilantro seedlings are up and doing well.

I will be planting garlic soon and as this year's crop was kind of "meh," I am seeking out a new source of seed garlic. My usual source is the Takoma Park Farmers Market and when I went by there last week, the 'German White' garlic for sale was also pretty puny. So I'm looking for a new source and will see if I try a new variety this time. Got any recommendations?


How is your garden plot growing this week?

 

About Fenton Friday: Every Friday during the growing season, I'll be giving you an update on my community garden plot at the Fenton Street Community Garden just across the street from my house in zone 7 Mid-Atlantic MD/DC border. I'm plot #16. It is a 10 ft x 20 ft space and this is our 12th year in the garden. (It opened in May 2011.)  See past posts about our edible garden by putting "Fenton" into the Search box above (at the top, left on this blog).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...