Friday, August 11, 2023

Fenton Friday: Potato Harvest

A quick update on the cutting garden. We had our first bloom today of the Cornflower 'Velvet Dawn', and there are several buds appearing on the Cosmos 'Apricotta'. The Zinnia 'Mazurkia' keeps pumping out gorgeous flowers with lots of variations in colors and patterning. The Celosia and Dahlia are also starting to flower well. However, the Scabiosa 'Black Knight' may never bloom I fear. The plants are towards the path-side of the cutting garden so they get some damage and exposure from folks walking by and they also get overshadowed by the taller Zinnias. I won't give up on them entirely, but not expecting much from them. Still, a pretty good showing for flowers planted by seed just two months ago (around June 15).

I dug the potatoes that I had planted at the end of March. I intended to enter them into the county fair this weekend or I would have left them in the ground a bit longer. It looks like I may miss the fair entry period though due to illness. In any case, there were about 50 potatoes and most were about the size of a chicken egg. The variety is 'Yukon Gold', which I think are normally larger in size. I did not fertilize them and as I said, I pulled them a bit early, still I'm pretty happy with the results.

In the rest of the plot, the Tomatoes are developing, Peppers are turning from green to gold, and the Zucchini keep coming. The Beans and the Sweet Potato vines are growing rampantly, so I'm constantly wrapping those around the nearby trellis and I'm also always pulling up sections of the invasive Morning Glory vine that will just NOT give up invading the plot. 

One nice surprise today was harvesting a handful of ripe Blackberries. I was sure the birds would devour those later berries before I could pick them! 

How is your garden plot growing this week?
 
About Fenton Friday: Every Friday during the growing season, I'll be giving you an update on my community garden plot at the Fenton Street Community Garden just across the street from my house in zone 7 Mid-Atlantic MD/DC border. I'm plot #16. It is a 10 ft x 20 ft space and this is our 12th year in the garden. (It opened in May 2011.)  See past posts about our edible garden by putting "Fenton" into the Search box above (at the top, left on this blog).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...