Friday, August 04, 2023

Fenton Friday: Cucamelons Return

So I'm pretty sure this is NOT the 'Lunchbox' Pepper that the label says it is. That is supposed to be a sweet pepper for snacking that has a classic Christmas bulb-type shape. I think instead that this is "Where's the heat" Habanero yellow sweet pepper (Capsicum annum). Here is the description from our Silver Spring Garden Club's annual GardenMart sale brochure:

A pepper that looks like a traditional habanero, but without most of the heat. Colorful fruits grow 1 to 1-1/2 inch long and mature from green to bright clear golden yellow. Extremely flavorful fruits and can be used for cooking, pickling or fresh eating. Good right off the plant. When you cut open a ripe pepper you get an intense fruity perfume smell. Sturdy plants grow 2 feet tall and are very prolific and a good conversation piece. Looks great in the garden with bright yellow fruits against green foliage. Plant will mature more slowly than other peppers. Large, upright plants create a nice canopy to protect fruits from sunscald.  

It sure looks like a Habanero-type to me. I guess we'll let this one turn yellow and then taste it to find out if it is sweet or not!

When I was pulling back some of the large Zucchini leaves to cut off the squashes hiding underneath, I found a little Cucamelon vine aka Mexican Sour Gherkin! I got a stake for it and trained it up -- as I do NOT want anyone mistaking it for a weedy Morning Glory vine and tearing it out. I have had the Cucamelon come back for a few years now and am happy to see it is back. I love eating them!

In the rest of the plot, I weeded a bit and cut more Zinnia blooms as well as Dahlias. The beans and sweet potato vines are growing like crazy. It will be time to dig the 'Yukon' potatoes soon to get them ready for possible entry in the county fair.

How is your garden plot growing this week?
 
About Fenton Friday: Every Friday during the growing season, I'll be giving you an update on my community garden plot at the Fenton Street Community Garden just across the street from my house in zone 7 Mid-Atlantic MD/DC border. I'm plot #16. It is a 10 ft x 20 ft space and this is our 12th year in the garden. (It opened in May 2011.)  See past posts about our edible garden by putting "Fenton" into the Search box above (at the top, left on this blog).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...