Friday, November 25, 2022

Fenton Friday: Winter is Coming

We'll be closing out the garden plot in the next few weeks. The "lovely" picture above is of my Dahlia plants zapped by frost and freezes. I still need to get over there to dig and store the dahlias. I also need to cut back the Asparagus foliage that is finally dying back. I'll then cover all exposed soils with a thick cover of straw.

I'm still waiting on the Pea plants to flower and produce pods, but have to face the fact with unseasonably cold temps this past week mean this might never happen. In that case, I could cut and eat the pea tendrils, but I'm not willing to give up hope yet.

I have not seen the Garlic we planted a few weeks ago emerging yet. I'll look more closely the next time I visit.

We'll share reports on the last few cool-season crops the interns have been growing in the next couple of Fridays, then will end this Fenton Friday series for 2022. We'll re-start it again in 2023 -- likely by mid-March.

Did you harvest anything this week? Are you done with your edible garden for the season?

About Fenton Friday: Every Friday during the growing season, I'll be giving you an update on my community garden plot at the Fenton Street Community Garden just across the street from my house in zone 7 Mid-Atlantic MD/DC border. I'm plot #16. It is a 10 ft x 20 ft space and this is our 11th year in the garden. (It opened in May 2011.) See past posts about our edible garden by putting "Fenton" into the Search box above.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...