Friday, November 11, 2022

Fenton Friday: Lettuce Rejoice!

This week, I harvested a bag full of the 'Bauer' lettuce that I planted around September 23. I also discovered some Arugula had reseeded itself under the thick stand of Zinnias and grown very well in their shadow. (This might be a technique to actually duplicate next summer!) I cut a few leaves from the Arugula and hope to add them to a pizza this weekend.

We had another very balmy weather week. Today it is raining and I am thankful for that as the cistern at the garden is empty and will not be refilled anymore until next spring, so any water we want to put on our seedlings and plants has to be carried in -- which is not a fun chore.

We harvested some more of the Biquinho peppers and the Okra put out a few flowers -- but I think those are both going to be pulled this week looking at the cold forecast in store for us. 

The Kale, Broccoli, Swiss Chard, and Peas are all growing well. They are mostly under cover cloths or in protected spots, so I'm not too worried about them and the coming frost/freezes.

About Fenton Friday: Every Friday during the growing season, I'll be giving you an update on my community garden plot at the Fenton Street Community Garden just across the street from my house in zone 7 Mid-Atlantic MD/DC border. I'm plot #16. It is a 10 ft x 20 ft space and this is our 11th year in the garden. (It opened in May 2011.) See past posts about our edible garden by putting "Fenton" into the Search box above.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...