Friday, October 14, 2022

Fenton Friday: The White House Kitchen Garden

Last weekend, I visited the White House for their semi-annual gardens tour--along with 30,000 or so other folks!--that meant we didn't have time to linger and look too long at the White House Kitchen Garden. The Secret Service urged us not pause, but I did so long enough to grab a quick video (see here) and a couple photos.

I could see they had transitioned to cool-season crops like Kale, Cabbage, and Fennel, but also had plenty of warm-season ones still in such as Basil and Peppers. I'm glad to see that a team of professional horticulturists has trouble straddling the seasonal changeover as well. When to pull what is always such a crap-shoot in our region, pull it too early and regret it when the fall temps warm up again; don't pull it early enough and miss your window for starting a second-season crop.

One thing I don't envy about their job though is making it looks good all the time. Vegetables aren't always the neatest plants and certainly can be a bit "wild and woolly" by harvest time. I know our garden can be unsightly at times, but aren't we all?

In our own garden plot, things are pretty much the same as last week. We had a couple more good rains and the deer fence work continues. I did not get a chance to pull the tomatoes and put in any cover crop seeds, which us just as well as our final harvest collection of the year is this Sunday. I will pull all the vines and give them everything I have.

About Fenton Friday: Every Friday during the growing season, I'll be giving you an update on my community garden plot at the Fenton Street Community Garden just across the street from my house in zone 7 Mid-Atlantic MD/DC border. I'm plot #16. It is a 10 ft x 20 ft space and this is our 11th year in the garden. (It opened in May 2011.) See past posts about our edible garden by putting "Fenton" into the Search box above.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...