Friday, October 21, 2022

Fenton Friday: Harvest Collection


This week, we had our final harvest collection for the hungry. The total for this round was about 75 pounds of food, which was much greater in volume than weight as it was mostly a lot of lightweight things like the Herbs and Peppers shown here.

In our own garden plot, I finally pulled the last of tomato vines and put in a cover crop seeding of 'Kodiak' Mustard. We have a frost scare, so we took a bag of straw and surrounded all the cool-season seedlings with a good insulating layer around them. I check the plantings today and the peppers and okra are still going, so I think we survived the frost okay.

Next week, I plan to pull the pumpkin vine and plant garlic in that bed. I'd also like to refresh the paths around the plot with new wood chips since they are getting pretty bare. The crews are still there working on the deer fence though, so I may await their departure as the equipment and tools are strewn around the pathways making it difficult to move the wheelbarrow and chips around them.

About Fenton Friday: Every Friday during the growing season, I'll be giving you an update on my community garden plot at the Fenton Street Community Garden just across the street from my house in zone 7 Mid-Atlantic MD/DC border. I'm plot #16. It is a 10 ft x 20 ft space and this is our 11th year in the garden. (It opened in May 2011.) See past posts about our edible garden by putting "Fenton" into the Search box above.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...