Friday, October 28, 2022

Fenton Friday: Parsley Parsed

Parsley photo from https://harvesting-history.com/

This week I planted Parsley in the plot. I was inspired by the article in our October 2022 issue of Washington Gardener by Barbara Melera. I had grown parsley for a few years, but let it peter out and had been wanting to replace it for a while. Her article reminded me how much I love the taste of fresh parsley. My favorite way to eat it is finely chopped up and sprinkled on truffle fries. What is your favorite way to eat it?

I also read fellow garden writer Lynette L. Walther's article here on "trick or treat" plants and had no idea all of the folklore that surrounded parsley and how closely it is tied to the Devil -- really fascinating and a great read! 

The weather was fairly mild this week and we had some light rains. The Dahlias are looking particularly spectacular and I cut several for Halloween bouquets. The rest of the cool-season crops are growing well. I'm still hanging on to some of the warm-season crops like the peppers, cucamelons, and pumpkin vine as they are also still putting out some fruits and I don't have the heart to rip them all out yet.

Our goal for next week is to get the garlic planted and maybe pull a radish to check it for size aka "doneness."

About Fenton Friday: Every Friday during the growing season, I'll be giving you an update on my community garden plot at the Fenton Street Community Garden just across the street from my house in zone 7 Mid-Atlantic MD/DC border. I'm plot #16. It is a 10 ft x 20 ft space and this is our 11th year in the garden. (It opened in May 2011.) See past posts about our edible garden by putting "Fenton" into the Search box above.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...