Friday, July 01, 2022

Fenton Friday: First Tomato

The two cherry tomato plants both have ripe small fruit. Pictured above is the small "currant" tomato. The fruits are tiny, but oh so delicious and the plants are usually prolific.

The two heirloom (larger) tomato varieties are not even flowering and the pepper plant still has no signs of fruits forming yet. I suspect the heat of this week may change that.

In the cutting-garden seeds, the Nasturtium and Basil seedlings are up. No sign yet of the Green Beans nor of the Monarda and Verbena seedlings.

I cut another small bouquet from the self-sown Zinnias to encourage the plants to branch more and not be so tall/floppy later on.

When I got back from the Garden Bloggers Fling in Madison, WI, earlier this week, I saw that the dwarf, thornless Blackberry was picked clean of ALL fruits except a few very green ones! I think it was birds. I don't think any human would eat them in their red stage as they are very sour then. I moved the hard plastic netting off the strawberry patch over the bushes. It is just a partial covering, but will see if that allows me to get those last few fruits when they ripen.

What are you growing and eating this week from your edible garden?

About Fenton Friday: Every Friday during the growing season, I'll be giving you an update on my community garden plot at the Fenton Street Community Garden just across the street from my house in zone 7 Mid-Atlantic MD/DC border. I'm plot #16. It is a 10 ft x 20 ft space and this is our 11th year in the garden. (It opened in May 2011.) See past posts about our edible garden by putting "Fenton" into the Search box above.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...