Friday, June 24, 2022

Fenton Friday: Zinnias Up!

We got passed over by the last few rainstorms then got hit by a streak of unusually windy and dry days, so it has been a week of daily watering to keep the new cutting-garden seedlings alive that are just emerging. The Celosia, Zinnia, and Marigolds that we planted last week are up. The other cutting-garden seeds may take a few more days to weeks to come up. I also added rows of Basil and Green Beans, which I hope pop up soon.

By the way, see that pile of bricks/rocks at the head of the Zinnia seedling row? That is my years-long attempt at killing a Mulberry tree that keeps coming back and is also sending runners throughout my plot. It is such a pain to deal with, but I just keep pruning it back and it keeps roaring right back. One day it will give up -- or will I?

The self-sown Zinnias are also doing well. I cut a handful of flowers from them this week -- they are mostly bright oranges and a couple pinks. The funny thing is, most of the cutting-garden seeds I have been sent are also orange hues, not my favorite, but a fun change and should contrast nicely with many of my purple flowering plants.

The two cherry tomato plants are forming fruits already, but the two heirloom (larger) tomato varieties will be a while yet. The pepper plant is also settling in with no signs of flowers or fruits yet.

The dwarf, thornless Blackberry keeps pumping out fruit! I picked and froze 2 quarts in the last few days and am now sharing the extras.

What are you growing and eating this week from your edible garden?

About Fenton Friday: Every Friday during the growing season, I'll be giving you an update on my community garden plot at the Fenton Street Community Garden just across the street from my house in zone 7 Mid-Atlantic MD/DC border. I'm plot #16. It is a 10 ft x 20 ft space and this is our 11th year in the garden. (It opened in May 2011.) See past posts about our edible garden by putting "Fenton" into the Search box above.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...