Friday, June 10, 2022

Fenton Friday: A Quartet of Tomato Plants

 

Another wet week - but I'm not complaining! Temps have been fairly mild and I haven't had to water the plot much at all.

We planted the four tomato plants I had each in one corner of the front, left bed. The tomatoes were in the back, right bed last year, so I figure this the best attempt at crop rotation that I can do in my small plot.

The four tomatoes are 'White Currant', 'Cherokee Purple', 'Paul Robeson', and 'Sun Dipper'. They will be in the care of intern Tori. The first three are heirloom varieties that I got from the Silver Spring Garden Club plant sale I ran last month. They are tried-and-true, so I have high hopes for them. However, I'm most excited to try out 'Sun Dipper' as it is from PanAmerican Seed and is bred to be disease-resistant -- plus I love snacking tomatoes!

I'm still harvesting a handful of strawberries and a few purple podded snap peas every few days.

We pulled one of the hardneck garlic plants to make way for the 'Biquinho' Pepper plant aka Little Beak peppers that I got from the ladies at Garden Spots. It will be in the care of intern Jamie. The garlic we pulled was not fully developed, so we'll definitely leave all the others in the ground for another few weeks.

What are you growing and eating this week from your edible garden?

About Fenton Friday: Every Friday during the growing season, I'll be giving you an update on my community garden plot at the Fenton Street Community Garden just across the street from my house in zone 7 Mid-Atlantic MD/DC border. I'm plot #16. It is a 10 ft x 20 ft space and this is our 11th year in the garden. (It opened in May 2011.) See past posts about our edible garden by putting "Fenton" into the Search box above.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...