Friday, June 03, 2022

Fenton Friday: Purple Peas

It was a HOT and wet week, so not much gardening got down. Thankfully, the torrential rains that came through yesterday cleared out the heat and it looks like a perfect gardening week ahead and I have set aside a few days to get the tomatoes and peppers in, start squash seeds, establish a new cutting garden section, etc.

I'm still harvesting a handful of strawberries every other day and I cut off all the scapes that formed on the hardneck garlic (fresh pesto!). I picked a few purple podded snap peas that finally formed and those went right onto my dinner salad.

Meanwhile, Kara Rogers (Plot 42) and I took some time over the last few days to spruce up the garden's bulletin board. It was looking rather faded and sad from sun-bleaching -- plus some of the informational items were outdated. We are so pleased with how it turned out! We are already talking about what updates we'll do this fall to keep it current and looking great. The free seeds in the pouch include a few kinds of summer squashes that I hope folks try out. 

What are you growing and eating this week from your edible garden?

About Fenton Friday: Every Friday during the growing season, I'll be giving you an update on my community garden plot at the Fenton Street Community Garden just across the street from my house in zone 7 Mid-Atlantic MD/DC border. I'm plot #16. It is a 10 ft x 20 ft space and this is our 11th year in the garden. (It opened in May 2011.) See past posts about our edible garden by putting "Fenton" into the Search box above.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...