Friday, April 29, 2022

Fenton Friday: More Spri-nter

This week was a continuation of the seesaw winter-spring-winter we have been having here. Two nights went to freezing (or close to it) and the highs are about 10 degrees below average. That is making it great for certain plants, like the peas, but others are not not happy.

I picked some more asparagus and transplanted some chamomile plants to the plot. The potato plants I left in the ground last fall are popping back up and the garlic is looking terrific. The strawberries and blackberry are flowering prolifically, so I have hope for lots of summer fruits!

The interns (pictured above) harvested the items they grew this semester -- radishes and lettuce mix. The carrots they grew are still far from ready, but that is not surprising. They'll be sharing the lessons they learned about what they grew in the next few Fenton Friday posts. 

What are you growing and weeding out of your edible garden?

About Fenton Friday: Every Friday during the growing season, I'll be giving you an update on my community garden plot at the Fenton Street Community Garden just across the street from my house in zone 7 Mid-Atlantic MD/DC border. I'm plot #16. It is a 10 ft x 20 ft space and this is our 11th year in the garden. (It opened in May 2011.) See past posts about our edible garden by putting "Fenton" into the Search box above.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...