Friday, July 19, 2019

Fenton Friday: Scorching Hot

This week at the community garden plot it is hot -- up to 100 degrees F today through Sunday. I went and watered today and pray we get a late afternoon pop-up storm for some extra moisture and to cool things off a touch.

The Tomato plants are starting to move into high gear. They are also showing signs of Septoria Leaf Spot, which is to be expected with the heat and humidity we've had this summer. This little saucer (pictured) has three 'Sun Sugar' tomatoes and one 'Sun Gold' (the top-most one) with a tiny, self-sown wild 'Red Currant' in the middle.

The Bean plants are putting on lots of flowers, so I expect to be harvesting by early next week.

The Swiss Chard is getting really big. I suppose I should cut it and donate it, as I'm really not a big fan of eating it -- but it sure looks pretty.

The Garlic has finished curing in my sunroom and if I have time this weekend, I will make pesto with it -- as the Basil plants are starting to get crowded and could use a good cut-back.

Surprisingly, my Strawberry plants are setting new flowers. If I get more fruit on them, that will be very unusual.

What is growing in your edible garden this week?

About Fenton Friday: Every Friday during the growing season, I'll be giving you an update on my community garden plot at the Fenton Street Community Garden just across the street from my house in zone 7 Mid-Atlantic MD/DC border. I'm plot #16. It is a 10 ft x 20 ft space and this is our 8th year in the garden. (It opened in May 2011.) See past posts about our edible garden by putting "Fenton" into the Search box above.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...