Friday, June 28, 2019

Fenton Friday: Garlic Harvest


I dug up the Garlic bulbs today. They are the biggest I have ever grown. Waiting two weeks past my usual time helped! I believe they are all 'German White' (aka 'Music' or 'Porcelain' ) except for one with a bit of purple in it that I may have been given at an autumn harvest event and snuck in the ground later next to the others. The heads are on my laundry drying rack in the sunroom and Santino (pictured) couldn't resist inspect the robust harvest. He declared it "respectable."

Elsewhere in the plot, the 'Dragon's Tongue' bean seeds are growing fast and the 'Red Swan' beans have germinated and made a slow appearance. The 'Red Burgundy' okra seeds are still tiny, but the 'Rainbow' Swiss Chard is growing by leaps and bounds. More 'Sun Gold' tomatoes were ripe as well as some 'Sun Sugar' ones. The Basil varieties are holding steady -- not much new growth. I have let the lettuces bolt (go to flower and seed), in hopes of collecting some for next year's Seed Exchanges.

I think I will cut the heads on my cauliflower soon as we are experiencing several days of 90+ degree heat and even with a cover cloth I don't see them hanging on too much longer.

What is growing in your edible garden this week?
About Fenton Friday: Every Friday during the growing season, I'll be giving you an update on my community garden plot at the Fenton Street Community Garden just across the street from my house in zone 7 Mid-Atlantic MD/DC border. I'm plot #16. It is a 10 ft x 20 ft space and this is our 8th year in the garden. (It opened in May 2011.) See past posts about our edible garden by putting "Fenton" into the Search box above.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...