Friday, July 14, 2017

Fenton Friday: Peppers Producing

Sweet Pepper 'Candy Cane'
The interns (Ana and Mika) and I were surprised this week to already be picking some of the peppers off the 7 plants we are trialing. We picked 'Dragon Roll' and tasted those along with the sweet 'Candy Cane' peppers pictured here. Both were a bit on the green side, but still flavorful and would be nice in salads or other dishes. All the rest of the peppers are covered in flowers and fruits and can be picked at any time - just a matter of taste as to how "hot" or ripe we want them to be. The only one dragging is the heirloom 'Fish' pepper. We have not fertilized any of them as yet, but maybe should think about that for the 'Fish' one.

The watermelon and muskmelon (aka canteloupe) continue to double and triple in size. I am glad something is liking these record high temps this week! 

I have taken the cover cloth off my green bean and zinnia seedlings as they are getting taller and I think the rabbit danger has passed.

A couple of the 'Little Bing' tomatoes turned red this week, so I snacked on those. I would have also snacked on the ripe Ground Cherries I had set aside, but they disappeared overnight. Ants? Birds?

How is your edible garden growing this week?

About Fenton Friday: 
Every Friday during the growing season, I'll be giving you an update on my community garden plot at the Fenton Street Community Garden just across the street from my house. I'm plot #16. It is a 10 ft x 20 ft space and this is our 6th year in the garden. (It opened in May 2011.)

2 comments:

  1. Cucumbers are growing like crazy, especially the Silver Slicers, my favorite (so sweet and crunchy!). Already have too many for me to eat by myself, and have to give some away. A nice problem to have! Lots and lots of green tomatoes, but still few that are ripe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to hear about you Cucumber success, Maureen! (By coincidence, we are working on a cover story on cukes right now - look for that issue to get posted in a few days.) Too much is a GOOD problem to have.

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...